We have to go back to the 13th century to find the original Chapel in Chapel Allerton, built in the area which we now know of as the old Churchyard on Harrogate Road. read more
After several rebuildings, the final Church on this site, built in the mid 18th century, was finally demolished in 1935.
Our present Church on Wood Lane, a Grade II* Listed Building, had been in use for 35 years by then, the old one being mainly used for burials during this period.


The Interior

St. Matthew's Church was designed by George Frederick Bodley (1827-1907), the renowned Victorian architect. He worked in the Gothic style, and largely confined himself to churches. The large separate tower and the stark interior with long internal lines are characteristic of his work.

He was the first pupil of George Gilbert Scott later establishing a partnership with another pupil of Scott's, Thomas Garner, which lasted for nearly three decades. He was a friend of the Pre-Raphaelites and William Morris and his own most important pupil was the Arts and Crafts designer C. R. Ashbee. Bodley's churches include among many others, St. Michael's in Brighton (1859-61) an early work, Holy Trinity Knightsbridge, and in Cambridge the chapel for Queen's College
.

Abroad, his major work was Washington Cathedral. He was also responsible for a variety of church interior architecture - e.g. the nave and presbytery altar for York Minster.